Print is the oldest form of communication, it continues to evolve as technology changes, but remains a measurable resource for marketing in all the venues. Entrepreneur magazine published some powerful reasons that businesses, new startups especially, need to expand beyond the lure of digital-only marketing and make a commitment in their marketing budget for print.
Awareness. When you are a startup, getting the word out means everything to your business growth and success. Print is an important part of the marketing mix for all companies, but especially important for small growing businesses because of the longevity and legitimacy it provides. Existing businesses need to maintain the connection to their current and potential customers.
1. The digital world is huge. Whether or not customers find you has a lot to do with luck. If they are in the right place at the right time or if they use the right search terms they may find you. Keep in mind, our digital world is overflowing with legitimate and not-so-legitimate competitors, and consumers are overwhelmed by a new marketing pitch with every screen refresh. You are just one fish in a big sea of marketing voices.
2. Digital marketing depends on niche targeting. Taking a niche only strategy limits your growth and exposure. Print allows your business to move beyond the niche markets and reach a broader audience.
3. Print has staying power. Digital marketing only stays in the customer’s field of vision for a few seconds. By contrast, print stays on the desk, the bulletin board, refrigerator or the counter for a longer period of time. It isn’t forgotten the moment the viewer clicks away, scrolls down or moves to another page. Business cards turn up it desk drawers, pockets, wallets, and company gifts, all the while reminding the viewer of your services.
4. Print gives businesses many options! Signs, banners, window clings, specialty advertising, posters, brochures and labels are just a few options to establish, build and maintain business branding. There is so much more to print marketing than flyers and Direct Mail.
5. Print provides instant credibility. Sure digital marketing is inexpensive, but that also creates an environment of indiscriminate competition. Disreputable businesses promote themselves alongside reputable companies. A professionally printed presentation, on paper, gives your business instant legitimacy that online marketing doesn’t.
Contact Calypso Graphics to develop your printed marketing needs.
This article was based on concepts published in “Don’t Overlook Print When Mapping Out Your Startup Marketing Plan”, Entrepreneur magazine 3/15